Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Overstepping My Bounds

I can't resist linking to this. As a Protestant, I suppose I have no right to judge whether or not someone is Catholic enough to be Catholic, but let's think this through:

You don't think the pope is God's spokesman.

You characterize the Catholic hierarchy as "the hierarchical institution set up, not by Jesus, but by men who hijacked his name and in many cases perverted his teachings."

You see the hijacking starting with Paul's first letter to the Corinthians [!].

Hmm . . . you may actually be too Protestant to be Protestant.

I like to think of most categories in terms of prototypes and marginal members (x is prototypically Catholic, y is more marginally Catholic) rather than in Platonic terms (x is a member of category Catholic if and only if x has quality y). But still, I wonder what possible qualities McElvaine could have that make him even marginally Catholic.

1 comment:

FarmerLenny said...

Wow. I fail to see the author's Catholicism, too. It seems like there are plenty of places within Christianity broadly speaking where this man could "fit," and none of those places are Catholicism. I would say a better solution for this man than impeaching the pope would be to find a new religion.

I like one of the comments left on the article: "What is absurd is you actually think you are a Catholic."